Joe Stokes

My Harris Matchless

Post by Joe Stokes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:12 pm

3 x

Fergie

Re: My Harris Matchless

Post by Fergie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Very nice.

I also have a Harris Matchless, as well as a couple of MT350s an an MZ Silver Star.

I must like Rotax engines!

John
1 x

Joe Stokes

Post by Joe Stokes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi John
What chain and sprockets do you use on your matchless? I need to lower the gearing on mine.
Regards
Joe
0 x

Fergie

Post by Fergie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi Joe,

As I said in the last post, I'll try to check over the weekend.

Have you seen the site

http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Har ... _parts.pdf

It indicates that the rear sprocket and chain are the same as the Harris Triumph Bonneville. The problem (as I'm sure you know) would be the Rotax gearbox sprocket with a pitch to suit a 5/8 x 3/8th chain. I'd happily change my rear sprocket to an MT compatible item if available, but I'll use whatever I can get.

John
0 x

Joe Stokes

Post by Joe Stokes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi John
I will let you know how I get on with the chain and sprockets. I'm still not sure I will go for a 17T or 18T front sprocket yet, Gary at Sportax recommends going for the 17T as this is the standard size for the MT500 so I will probably go with this. After all what is the point of asking the advice of someone with Gary's experience and then taking no notice of what they recommend?

Joe
1 x

Fergie

Post by Fergie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi Joe,

I had a look at my Harris Matchless sprockets.

The front one has 18 teeth, and the rear 46 with an 18 inch rear wheel. Of concern, when I looked closely, is that while the rear sprocket is the standard Triumph item and is slightly over 8mm thick, the front sprocket appears to be a Rotax item and is 6.25mm (1/4 inch) thick. This might account for the chain wear although the gearing is about right. Harris originally fitted a 20T or 21T front sprocket and I think a previous owner must have changed it.

A local friend dropped in with an Armstrong rear wheel sprocket for me to try out (thanks Danswankie). It's a bit worn but should tell me if it fits, after which I can order a complete new set of matching items. I'll take the wheel off and try it in a couple of days.

Cheers, John
0 x

Fergie

Post by Fergie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 pm

I can now confirm that the rear wheel sprocket from an Armstrong MT500 fits a Harris Matchless, which simplifies chain and sprocket replacement.

Why is it that whenever I fix a fault or find a solution to a problem, another one appears? I now know that I need to replace the rear brake shoes too.

John
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Fergie wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 pm
Why is it that whenever I fix a fault or find a solution to a problem, another one appears?
😁
On the bright side, you can now solve the new problem at YOUR convenience and once done you'll feel glad that you did it
0 x

Fergie

Post by Fergie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm

Very true.
You need to always look on the bright side, especially when fettling old motorcycles.

John
0 x

Joe Stokes

Post by Joe Stokes » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 am

Fergie wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 pm
Why is it that whenever I fix a fault or find a solution to a problem, another one appears?
😁
Very true yesterday I had a set of BT45's fitted because the tyres had gone hard over time and offered no grip in the wet. While the front brake callipers were off we discovered that the brake pads were delaminating so that was another £60 added to the bill. :o
0 x