Chain and sprockets for a Harris Matchless?

Joe Stokes

Chain and sprockets for a Harris Matchless?

Post by Joe Stokes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Sorry guys I don't own an MT but having recently brought a Harris Matchless I thought this was the best place for information and advice as it basically uses the same engine as in the MT500.
My bike is on standard gearing and it is over geared and wont pull top gear properly (front 20T rear 46T 530 chain 104 links)
They were all like this from new and most people dropped to 19T or 18T on the front sprocket as soon as they brought the bikes. My problem is that sprockets are no longer available for this bike due to its 530 size chain, so if I want to keep to the original chain size I need to get a sprocket made to order.
I believe that the MT500 uses a 520 size chain so my other option is buying a chain and sprocket set for an MT500 assuming that the rear sprocket will fit? and if so is the standard front 17T rear 47T for the MT going to be to low for the matchless?

Any advice or comments welcome please

Joe
1 x

Wirralman

Re: Chain and sprockets for a Harris Matchless?

Post by Wirralman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44 pm

I will send you a pm ( Private Message)
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 pm

Spicier cam and a bigger carb.

18/47 should do you.

Easy enough to work out, it's not (sp)rocket science.

Divide rear sprocket by front sprocket.

46/20=2.30
46/19=2.42
46/18=2.55

47/19=2.47
47/18=2.61
47/17=2.76
47/16=2.93
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am

Whilst I'm sure Lardmarc's calculations are correct, I don't think you can deduce the best answer without considering other factors such as

1) how tall the tyres are ( stiff off road tyres can be and inch taller than general purpose tyres). Are the Matchless wheels the same size as an MT ?

2) what type of riding did you want to set you bike up for
Traffic light grand prix or touring ?

I've seen one MT owner ride to an event on road tyres then change to off road. Other riders have swapped front sprockets to suit off road or mountainous conditions

Some MT riders have changed from standard sizes and then swapped back. If you establish the stock ratios you can then use them to select a combination of gears that is closest

All that said, swapping the front cog is easy enough and they aren't that expensive so why not experiment to see which best suits you
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:56 am

Wirralman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am
Swapping the front cog is easy enough and they aren't that expensive so why not experiment to see which best suits you
Joe Stokes wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm
My problem is that sprockets are no longer available for this bike due to its 530 size chain, so if I want to keep to the original chain size I need to get a sprocket made to order.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

lardmarc wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:56 am
Wirralman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am
Swapping the front cog is easy enough and they aren't that expensive so why not experiment to see which best suits you
Joe Stokes wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm
My problem is that sprockets are no longer available for this bike due to its 530 size chain, so if I want to keep to the original chain size I need to get a sprocket made to order.
To clarify, I am NOT suggesting buying sprockets that are unavailable. Buy what IS available ( front and back) but be prepared to experiment to find what suits you best. Different sizes may be more suitable for different conditions

All that said, I am making the assumption that the costs of having parts made has been established and that all possible sources have been explored.

Is there a Matchless forum or other forum for bikes that use these chains and sprockets?
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm
Buy what IS available ( front and back) but be prepared to experiment to find what suits you best.
He'll need to go 520. Front sprocket will definitely fit, can't remember if the rear hub is the same as the MT. I think it is but torque arm is different.

Then he can experiment all he wants with sprockets that are available using the ratios above.
Wirralman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Is there a Matchless forum or other forum for bikes that use these chains and sprockets?
Not only Matchless but KTM, CCM, Maico, ATK and MZ.
0 x

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi Joe,

I am pretty sure most Harris Matchless had a rear sprocket hole pattern as per the MT500. So if you change to 520 chain, which is more than up to the job for these, you could use a MT500 Chain and Sprocket Kit from us at £99.69 plus carriage plus VAT.

You would have no options on teeth on the rear sprocket as it's 47T only, but you would have plenty of scope for variants on the front sprocket. We normally stock 14,15,16,17,18 tooth, and these would all come within that set price.

You would just need to message us with your front sprocket choice.

Hope this helps.

Force
1 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Joe Stokes

Post by Joe Stokes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, if I brought a chain and sprocket set from Force (front 18T rear 47T) I would need a chain with 104 links, do you supply these? as 102 is standard for the MT500 I think. Also do they come with a split link or soft rivet? I find split links more suitable for my needs.

Joe
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:02 pm

102 links should do as the Matchless swing arm is the same length as the Armstrong swing arm.

0 x