can am bombadeir 250 value

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
elevensies

can am bombadeir 250 value

Post by elevensies » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:51 pm

hi all,
a guy i kinda know contacted me asking of i was interested in a bike hes got.

Its a ex MOD can am bombardier 250, circa 1980 ish

no paperwork at all

all there, in its green drab, inc panniers

now i kinda like it, but without paperwork its worth zero to me, as i cant sell it on, he wants £1000.

any ideas?
0 x
#kustomspeedoutlet
Classic and vintage racing

Barrie

Re: can am bombadeir 250 value

Post by Barrie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 pm

It's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, but if it was me I would consider that too steep for an old bike that isn't road registered let alone road safe.
0 x
MT500 "Le Shuttle" In memory of Jim Burns
Jawa CZ 125
Need help uploading photos onto the forum?
click here

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 pm

I agree with Barrie

With no paperwork you'll struggle to register it for the road. I don't think an ornamental Canam or a field bike is worth £1000 but some might
0 x

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 am

Not worth it without paper work In my opinion.
It's only spares or field bike .great bikes thou
0 x
Armstrong 600
500 outfit

elevensies

Post by elevensies » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:29 am

cheers guys

as i thought field bike and thats that. I was going to offer 500 and try get it on the road, but not worth my time :)
0 x
#kustomspeedoutlet

250rider

Post by 250rider » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:57 pm

I don't agree with most of what has been said above, that's based of course on what the OP said in the first place.

Depending what you mean by paperwork, having nothing will not stop you getting such and getting an ex-Military Can-Am onto the UK roads.

So long as it's got evidence of an appropriate frame number the 'dating'' process is straightforward, quick and usually enlightening as to the Service history of the machine.

If it's straight, tidy, in reasonably complete Military specification then a grand isn't that silly. Post pictures maybe and we could offer further advice.

Regards.

Paul.
www.militarycan-am.co.uk
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:07 pm

I can certainly think of one forum member who had an MT350 with no paperwork. He tried for years to register it and eventually gave up. He was not a first timer in the registration process

The process a few years ago was a lot easier but my understanding is that is has been tightened up considerably.

I personally went to a regional registration office to get a Canam age related plate to replace its Q plate. I had a letter from the MOD confirming the bike's age along with some details of its service life. I was given a full interrogation as to why the bike, which I had bought 10 days earlier, hadn't been re-registered years ago. After huffing and puffing, I was eventually issued with an age related plate. I would imagine it would be harder these days when dealing by post rather than face to face

Perhaps the process is easier for dealer, such as 250rider, than for private individuals ?

Regardless, why bother taking a risk, why not buy a bike either already registered or one with the paperwork to enable it to be registered easily. For me it's a no-brainer..
0 x

250rider

Re: can am bombadeir 250 valueq

Post by 250rider » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Just one small point of clarification if I may; we're just two very old fellas trying to help other Can-Am owners get their bikes on the road and keep them on the road. We therefore have no special privilages, just anything anyone else can do.

While I'm here..... we've passed on a couple of dozen scrap Can-Am's over the years and not one has been problematical in gaining a UK Registration Mark by the then owner after re-commissioning. I assume it's common knowledge that, especially nowadays, you should not use the word 'rebuilt' in dealing with DVLA as it has, to them, a very specific meaning that can dig you a very big hole that is difficult to subsequently get out of!

Regards to all,

Paul.
www.militarycan-am.co.uk
2 x

elevensies

Post by elevensies » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:28 pm

thanks guys, iv been tooing and frowing on this bike, and as for pictures, well not much is coming my way from him, other than do i want to buy it.

If i had the space to store it, and get around to all the registration, id love it, it would be great addition, but i dont

i will post pics if i get any
0 x
#kustomspeedoutlet

ronwright

Post by ronwright » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm

I have registered three bikes in the past 18 months. None of them were a problem. The DVLA are there to help whilst ensuring that the bikes are as described and not "ringers." The process is quite simple and straightforward. You need a dating certificate from a DVLA registered organisation. The VMCC can supply and you do not need to be a member. Ensure that you send photos of the bike from both sides plus good images of the chassis number. Fill in the V55/C which you get from the DVLA website but it cannot be downloaded - they send it to you in the post. I always send a nice letter with any application with a contact telephone number should there be any query. Sometimes they have sent out someone to examine the bike and that is at no cost to you. Other times they have not bothered. The bike does not need to be insured [Northern Ireland is the exception] and depending on its age you may be lucky enough to claim historic status which negates an MOT. If not the bikes needs to be MOT using the chassis number. I would never discourage anyone from buying an unregistered bike provided its identifying features are there. You could also as a belt and braces get its army history from RLC logistics. It is a little pricey {£40] but it all helps. £1000 is no longer a lot of money for a Can Am. They are a hoot to ride and extremely well built.
1 x