Swing arm setting up question

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
DonR

Swing arm setting up question

Post by DonR » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:45 am

Anyone here have experience of setting up the swing arm ?

The manual states that the pivot bolt should be torqued with the swing arm set in its mid travel position and illustrates this with a crappy little drawing (that looks nothing like a Can Am) indicating that mid travel is set by measuring 267mm - presumably between the top and bottom shock mounts although it looks more like it's pointing to one of the exhaust bobbin mounts.
$_57 (5).JPG
$_57 (5).JPG (138.79 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Plus the distance between centres of an uncompressed shock is about 325mm and even with my sylph like form sitting on the bike it's still 310mm ish. So how can mid travel be 267mm ?? Am I missing something ? Is it the wrong drawing or just the wrong dimension ?
0 x
Can Am Bombardier
Most of an airhead Beemer
Some CXs

DonR

Re: Swing arm setting up question

Post by DonR » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Looks like I'm on my own here so having waited for the right socket to fit my torque wrench to turn up (24mm but only a 3/8" drive) I've gone boldly on and done it.

First step was to remove the rear shocks and then strap the wheel/swingarm up so that the distance between the top and bottom shock mounts was 267mm as described in the manual (and in the very misleading drawing). As I said in my previous post this seems way too high and it took a fair bit of effort (using a camlock strap around the wheel rim and the frame) to get the required position.

Next was the easy bit - torque the nut to 100 N/m. Glad I used the torque wrench because it was a lot tighter than I would have done it using my un-calibrated elbow.

Finally the surprising bit - I removed the strap and allowed the wheel to drop - gently - and then went to put the shocks back on. Waddya know - where the swingarm settled on it's own was exactly in the right place for the shock bolts to slide right in ! (Would have been completely different without the weight of the wheel of course). So hopefully with the weight of me and the bike on the suspension it will be sitting some way above this position and therefore in the right place.

My conclusion is that 267mm is the right dimension but ignore the confusing diagram in the manual.

Of course I've not ridden it yet so I may revise my conclusion in a month or two.
1 x
Can Am Bombardier
Some CXs

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:58 am

You might find the answers you're after on Military Can-Am Bombardier Register on Hatebook.

Lots of info about MTs on here but not much about Canams.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

DonR

Post by DonR » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:41 am

Cheers - done it.
1 x
Can Am Bombardier
Some CXs