Suppliers seem expensive

An area for our suppliers to tell us about new products/ offers or trading news.
Lateom

Suppliers seem expensive

Post by Lateom » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 am

I have just joined and need to buy parts, I went to the recommended suppliers list and seem outrageously expensive, they want over 600 pounds for a crankshaft, yet I found one for 150 pounds. It seems like a ripe off, why are they being recommended?
0 x

Pewter

Re: Suppliers seem expensive

Post by Pewter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 am

I assume it is because they are running a business with all the associated costs such as premises, wages, taxes, etc etc, which they have to pass on to their customers.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:52 am

They are the suppliers of MT parts. You may find other suppliers of Rotax parts.
0 x

WJP

Post by WJP » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:38 am

Lateom wrote:I have just joined and need to buy parts, I went to the recommended suppliers list and seem outrageously expensive, they want over 600 pounds for a crankshaft, yet I found one for 150 pounds. It seems like a ripe off, why are they being recommended?
Welcome to the joys of ownership, don't forget its not like they made hundreds of thousands of these things and so any business has to service a rather niche market. Are you comparing like with like as you don't say if your 150 pounds was for a new or secondhand crankshaft from an individual breaking a motor as there are often a few on that site that must not be mentioned.
0 x
Therapy 1 Desert 350
Therapy 2 Green 604
Canam 250 Green/Rust camo with Blue smoke screen
1959 Police stealth bike, Grey 7 bhp and 6 volt pos earth
Two MTs in Canada now Sold :cry:
Latest project (challenge) BSA WM20. Oil incontinent and missing parts!

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:08 pm

As an owners club forum for what are quite rare bikes , that were last made 20+ years ago, our members of course need to know (and often ask) where to get spares , so we have links to the dealers from this site .
We don't endorse any supplier in particular as a club above the others. There is more than one supplier.

We are always happy to hear of sources of parts , as that keeps our bikes running , and to give suppliers publicity on the forum .

so £600 for a crankshaft- did you get a brand new one from a different parts supplier for £150- if so where ? we would be very interested to know .
I don't know how that would compare to a crankshaft on say a Honda /Suzuki etc

The parts suppliers are there to make a living, but also bear in mind without a source of spares backup our bikes would end up scrapped and the club would die

Speaking personally (not as a moderator) - I would not use the words "outrageously expensive " or "rip off" myself, I have had British, Japanese and German bikes over the last 35 years and the price of some of those parts can be anywhere in the range between cheap and eye watering ! Personal experience I have dealt with all the main MT suppliers and been happy with my dealings with them , and never felt Ive been charged excessive .
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Lateom

Post by Lateom » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Dear all , yes I am very new to the Mt 500 , and I am sure they offer a great service . I did find a secondhand crankshaft from a company called red rose , I was just shocked at the prices, I have a Yamaha XT 600 as well and just replaced the gears, with the parts only costing 80 pounds,
I must have been a little crazy to take on the MT but she look so beautiful I just could say no, and really want to get her back on the road.
I am just wondering if I have taken on to much?
I really didn't mean any offence to the company's in question, I was just really shocked that one part I needed was more than I paid for the bike.
So guess I need to save hard for this labour of love,
Have a good one X
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi and thanks for the update ,

Red Rose have been around for some time selling second hand and do often have MT parts in stock.

Once you have got it up and running the service parts like brake pads, cables , chains, sprockets & cambelt etc are I think generally reasonably priced and easy to get , so it is possible to run one of these bikes on a reasonable budget unless you are unlucky and eg a major engine part fails - and I do appreciate the bigger stuff can be expensive relative to the value of the bike , There is a thriving market on ebay etc for second hand parts and often members buying and selling bits on the forum .

good luck with the repair/restoration :) Once you get on the road with a big grin its all worth it
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:47 pm

i have sent you a pm
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

Lateom

Post by Lateom » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Hello all,
After stripping down the engine (thanks for the manual) it seems to be the sartor, magneto flywheel, and external trigger, can I get them from sportax also could I fit a electric start, or would you keep it as a kick start? Also I need a new head and bottom gasket.
Kev
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:37 pm

Lateom wrote:Hello all,
After stripping down the engine (thanks for the manual) it seems to be the sartor, magneto flywheel, and external trigger, can I get them from sportax also could I fit a electric start, or would you keep it as a kick start? Also I need a new head and bottom gasket.
Kev
Sportax have the skills to do the conversion for you. The suppliers listed may have the parts you need, you will have to contact them
0 x