Exhausts "O.S. Pipes" Stafford

An area for our suppliers to tell us about new products/ offers or trading news.
appyarry

Re: Exhausts "O.S. Pipes" Stafford

Post by appyarry » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 am

TJRL wrote: Now I have sold the 500 anyone what a SS end can!!
I'm interested, I'll PM you.
0 x
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

Eca05rjc

Post by Eca05rjc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Yeh i have the OS pipes fully SS exhaust system for the MT500 on mine. Have been running it for the past 3 years and very happy. Took a while to seal it properly but with a bit of exhaust paste and some good new clamps it does a nice job. It sounds quiet nice too.
would recommend.
0 x

gegdonnell

Post by gegdonnell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:03 pm

I bought a set of OS SS pipes last year, when get the cash I am looking to replace the mid section, then maybe will get the complete SS system treated.
0 x

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:26 am

big sid wrote:Anybody used these before?
I'm looking for a set of stainless headers.
I've seen the ones force are selling and I don't like the weld in the middle joining the two elbows together, grinding and polishing the welds out has been suggested however I
think this would weaken the joint. The ones O.S. Are selling are of one continuous length of pipe. He said he used to supply force but they said they could get them cheaper elsewhere, probably when the welded elbows came into play.
Also does anybody know if stainless steel can be permanently blacked, to withstand the heat of an exhaust. Military bikes with shiny polished exhaust pipes don't seem right to me.

Not being too fussy am I :roll:
Hi,

OS did indeed used to supply us with Stainless systems for the MT's for a couple of years or so. It wasn't price that forced us to go elsewhere, the ones Motad supply us now are in fact more expensive that the ones we used to buy from OS. It was the fit. We were supplying the MoD at the time with systems, as the bikes were still in service, and we had rejections from the MoD with regard to the fit.

Also we had complaints and returns from private customers again complaining about the fit. Motad are a firm who make OE systems for manufacturers and we get absolutely minimal issues with their products, we have sent them all over the world. Roy from OS is a great guy, and for a one-off system for a custom bike, he would be ideal.

Although there are industrial processes available, it is not very successful to black coat stainless, subjected to exhaust heat, and as another post mentioned, Stainless does tend to dull-down and self-colour in use, they will not stay shiny for long!

Our current stock of Motad systems show no joint welds, see photo below:

Hope this clears the matter up!

Regards

Nick

Force Motorcycles
0 x

Thumper

Post by Thumper » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks for posting this Nick

Very interesting...
0 x

big sid

Post by big sid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Our current stock of Motad systems show no joint welds, see photo below:

Hope this clears the matter up!

Regards

Nick

Force Motorcycles[/quote]

Are these one complete length of formed pipe or two welded elbows with the weld grinded off and polished?
0 x

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:33 pm

big sid wrote: Are these one complete length of formed pipe or two welded elbows with the weld grinded off and polished?
I suspect they are two pipes welded together, ground off and then polished. If you study these two pipes (particularly the right hand one) it is quite an intricate bend in more than one plane.

I know for a fact that production of these pipes gives even an experienced exhaust manufacturer like Motad problems.

I'm completely satisfied that these pipes ensure a good fit. From memory, the problems we had with the OS ones related to the fit in this area - without copious amounts of exhaust paste they would creep out from the joint and eventually blow.

We need to be able to sell these with the confidence that they will fit as well as the original systems did, which these do. These will fit with three clamps and no exhaust paste required whatsoever.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Nick
0 x

big sid

Post by big sid » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:07 pm

O.K. Nick,
Thanks for explaining everything.
I have noticed when refitting the exhaust how little free movement there is between the down pipes and centre pipe.
0 x