Exhausts "O.S. Pipes" Stafford

An area for our suppliers to tell us about new products/ offers or trading news.
big sid

Exhausts "O.S. Pipes" Stafford

Post by big sid » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:06 am

Anybody used these before?
I'm looking for a set of stainless headers.
I've seen the ones force are selling and I don't like the weld in the middle joining the two elbows together, grinding and polishing the welds out has been suggested however I
think this would weaken the joint. The ones O.S. Are selling are of one continuous length of pipe. He said he used to supply force but they said they could get them cheaper elsewhere, probably when the welded elbows came into play.
Also does anybody know if stainless steel can be permanently blacked, to withstand the heat of an exhaust. Military bikes with shiny polished exhaust pipes don't seem right to me.

Not being too fussy am I :roll:
0 x

diggerdogk9

Re: Exhausts "O.S. Pipes" Stafford

Post by diggerdogk9 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:35 am

big sid wrote:Anybody used these before?
I'm looking for a set of stainless headers.
I've seen the ones force are selling and I don't like the weld in the middle joining the two elbows together, grinding and polishing the welds out has been suggested however I
think this would weaken the joint. The ones O.S. Are selling are of one continuous length of pipe. He said he used to supply force but they said they could get them cheaper elsewhere, probably when the welded elbows came into play.
Also does anybody know if stainless steel can be permanently blacked, to withstand the heat of an exhaust. Military bikes with shiny polished exhaust pipes don't seem right to me.

Not being too fussy am I :roll:

Don't know if this helps im sure someone in the know will put me straight.... but i once had a spillage of some strong dairy bleach on stainless steel work table and it turned it black! And never came back shiney! :oops: I know there are different grades of stainless so it could be something to do with that.
0 x

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:08 am

bleach will discolour st/st. read the care instructions for stainless kitchen ware and sanitary ware. whether it is perminant ,not sure. there is always a ceramic coating ,similar to powder coating.worth investigating.

brian
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 am

actually big sid , i don't think your being over fussy,
i had similar issues on my rebuild,
in the end i went for 2nd hand original steel pipes. restored them as best as poss, rust treated them,
sprayed them satin black,
i'm very pleased with the result, :)
have to admit tho, the trouser guard looked super cool in stainless against the black, so thats how it is
0 x
Armstrong 600
500 outfit

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:35 am

steel downpipes,prepped and painted to the best quality,dont last long . i would go for stainless every time.
its horses for courses ,as always.
check this out.not a reccomend ,just an example
http://www.extremetemperaturecoatings.co.uk/about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zircotec.com/page/--performance-colours/47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brian
Last edited by bth2bth2 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

big sid

Post by big sid » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:39 am

diggerdogk9 wrote:
Don't know if this helps im sure someone in the know will put me straight.... but i once had a spillage of some strong dairy bleach on stainless steel work table and it turned it black! And never came back shiney! :oops: I know there are different grades of stainless so it could be something to do with that.
Think we're onto something. Have read, (google) there is a method of oxidising s/s using a caustic solution, I believe bleach is a derivative of caustic.
Shall do some relatively safe experiments over the weekend. It did say about heating and quenching in a caustic solution, however there is a risk of "Gas Explosion" :oops:

By the way received your rack bag today fits perfect
Thanks
Diggerdogk9
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Before I posted I thought I would have a look on the net. I was wondering if it was possible to 'oil black' stainless as you can mild steel. It would appear you can!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_oxide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pete
0 x
MT350

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:27 pm

TDIPower wrote:Before I posted I thought I would have a look on the net. I was wondering if it was possible to 'oil black' stainless as you can mild steel. It would appear you can!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_oxide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pete
Thats interesting ;)
0 x
MT350
Moto Guzzi S3
Moto Guzzi Spada (pimped)
Defender 90 200TDI

diggerdogk9

Post by diggerdogk9 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:35 am

big sid wrote:
diggerdogk9 wrote:
Think we're onto something. Have read, (google) there is a method of oxidising s/s using a caustic solution, I believe bleach is a derivative of caustic.
Shall do some relatively safe experiments over the weekend. It did say about heating and quenching in a caustic solution, however there is a risk of "Gas Explosion" :oops:

By the way received your rack bag today fits perfect
Thanks
Diggerdogk9
Great news, keep us posted on your findings
0 x

TJRL

Post by TJRL » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Anybody used these before?
Yes I have! They were very helpful and made me a pair of SS end cans to keep the noise of my 500 and 604 down and even changed the design of the little pipe at the end into a small cone when I asked.

I would recommend them without hesitation.

PS - Now I have sold the 500 anyone what a SS end can!!
0 x
1997 MT350 (with 500e) - Sold 2014 :(
1999 MT350 (With 604e) - Sold 2018 :( :(
2014 F800 GT
2018 R1200RT LE (for sale due to ill health)
1960 SII Land Rover SWB SW