Alvis Stawart information

A place for any non MT related guff...
arceye

Re: Alvis Stawart information

Post by arceye » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 pm

An aside, as a Saladin commander I once told my new driver to go straight on at the roundabout. He did exactly as he was told, there was a small bump as we went over the curb, we then sailed straight over the top, then rumbled over the other side. No damage to the vehicle and just two parallel indentations in the soil.....
I did the same in a Cheiftain... 8-)
2 x
MT 405
Phil

DonR

Post by DonR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 pm

I had been driving a Saracen for about half an hour and a voice said in my headset ' By the way you're on your driving test'
I can't beat that but my Dad can.......left home and joined up without a licence, taught himself to drive by crashing about in RAF trucks on Indian airfields, '42 ish to '46ish.

Come demob time, amongst other questions...... "Can you drive ?"........ "Yes"..........."Here's your licence then".

It took many such stories and many more years for me to realise the old bugger was - some of the time - having me on. I have no idea which tales were true and which were less so - so I just repeat them all :D
1 x
Can Am Bombardier
Most of an airhead Beemer
Some CXs

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 pm

DonR wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:45 pm

I can't beat that but my Dad can.......left home and joined up without a licence, taught himself to drive by crashing about in RAF trucks on Indian airfields, '42 ish to '46ish.

Come demob time, amongst other questions...... "Can you drive ?"........ "Yes"..........."Here's your licence then".

It took many such stories and many more years for me to realise the old bugger was - some of the time - having me on. I have no idea which tales were true and which were less so - so I just repeat them all :D
I friend of mine, now sadly departed, bought a motorbike as a youngster. He hadn't been taught to ride so he pushed it down to the beach to teach himself. The first day , he just couldn't get the hang of it, every time he let the clutch out the bike stalled. Crestfallen he pushed it back home.

The next day he thought that he'd try a different approach and hey Presto he way away. He had read about clicking through the gears, so on his first day he had been selecting top gear from rest rather than first !

I could well believe your Dad getting a licence upon wartime demob.
0 x

martin shaw

Post by martin shaw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Its looking like £1000 to £1500 to get the licence, depending on who and where I take the Cat C training and test. That's cash eating into the stolly fund!

As I said earlier, I don't have a spare mountain of money for this project, so some reassessments are in order. Cheap ones seem to be around £4000, but with no guarantee of working or condition. The proverbial money pit. Then there are pristine ones which will swim around £10,000 which you should just get in and drive and not have to have a spanner anywhere near it. Then there is my section, around the £6000 mark which run and maybe swim but need a bit of work. However, with the outlay for the Cat C test, I am getting too close to the 'money pit' section. I do have a good set of blokes at a local transport museum who are more than willing to chip in and help, and I'm not bad with the spanners and electrics having restored bikes and other WW2 military vehicles in the past. Indeed, it may even become an exhibit at the museum in return for their work.

As I said, some reassessments are in order.

Or I could just get another motorbike!
0 x

DonR

Post by DonR » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Hey you can't back out now ! We're all coming for a go.

I assume you know about this place ? https://tanks-alot.co.uk/product/alvis-stalwart-fv620/
0 x
Can Am Bombardier
Some CXs

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Having looked at these since your post, I note the Mark 1 are more complex due to their swim capability The Mark 2 do not have swim capability and are therefore simpler to maintain

We were issued with early Fox which had a flotation screen, but we never ever used it. Later versions didn't have screens.

For earlier Saladins we had a ' wading prep' process involving a blanking plate over the generator. We forded streams etc, (the steering goes lighter the deeper the water ) but never bothered with the prep. We did however had to unscrew inspection plates afterwards and drive around with them open to allow water out.

The 24v electrics were all 'tropicalised' so that you could operate world wide. This process meant that you didn't have to worry about rain, snow, tank-wash hoses etc, your wagon would still run

As for costs , I saw one advertised for £30,000 recently ! but others around the £5,000 mark. I dread to think about the cost of tyres, they must all be worn to the same degree to avoid transmission problems. On the negative side, 6 new tyres would cost a pretty penny, on the plus side, you can still get around on with 2 wheels missing but the wheel stations drop so reducing ground clearance
0 x

martin shaw

Post by martin shaw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:58 pm

I looked at Tanks-A-Lot. Their stolly's are £6K to £18, so quite a range. Not sure if they do driving experiences, but it might be a good place to atsrt. They advertise the H Licence, so maybe even to the Cat C. I'll email them and find out.

There's no backing out, only forward!!!!!
0 x

IvorD

Post by IvorD » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 am

There are probably a few well ventilated ones on Nordhorn Ranges in the Netherlands! I had the delightful task of guiding several tornadoes and Harriers on practice strafing runs on a forward air control course in the 90's.

Picture the view from the tall range observation tower located near the range; about 15 immaculate looking Stollies lined up in a row, side by side. Spick and span and looking for all the world as if they had just been first works paraded and ready to go for the day.

The air sortie comes in, and with what sounds like a massive ripping sound in the air as the aircraft open up with their cannon one by one as they pass overhead, each one releasing a burst of hundreds of rounds of ammunition and ripping the ground open in a way I had never imagined possible. A massive dust cloud hangs for what seems to be ages and when cleared, leaves a scene of the most expensive khaki coloured collanders you can imagine.

There might be a few usable spares among them😁

Happy days!
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:31 am

IvorD wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 am

Picture the view from the tall range observation tower located near the range; about 15 immaculate looking Stollies lined up in a row, side by side. Spick and span and looking for all the world as if they had just been first works paraded and ready to go for the day.

A massive dust cloud hangs for what seems to be ages and when cleared, leaves a scene of the most expensive khaki coloured collanders you can imagine.

There might be a few usable spares among them😁
Targets lined up in a row ? Luxury- our tank hulk targets were always spread out at different ranges and across the full width of the firing range. To ensure that they didn't fall apart too quickly, I understood that the targets were filled with concrete.

As for usable spares, you'd have to be very brave or desparate , High Explosive rounds don't always explode when it's supposed to !
0 x

DonR

Post by DonR » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:39 am

IvorD wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 am
khaki coloured collanders
:D :D :D
0 x
Can Am Bombardier
Some CXs