Alvis Stawart information

A place for any non MT related guff...
martin shaw

Alvis Stawart information

Post by martin shaw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi All

Definitely a bit off topic, but does anyone have any experience of the Alvis Stalwart, possibly some manuals on pdf? I know what you're thinking, but its an itch I have to scratch!

Martin
0 x

Minter

Re: Alvis Stawart information

Post by Minter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:49 pm

Great vehicles! Used to dry out and warm up in the louvres on exercises in Germany! 6 gears forward or reverse, sounded great too!
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:56 pm

The Stolly was in the same Alvis family as the Saladin and Saracen, although I think the gearbox was different
Saladin/ Saracen had a 5 speed gearbox, the 1st gear being a crawler so only used in specific circumstances. The had a transfer box which allowed all gears both forward and back. I did my armoured car driver training and test on a Saracen before being assigned as a Saladin driver

They are superb bits of kit, albeit requiring a lot of maintenance Fuel consumption didn't matter when the Queen was paying and there were no records of mpg because you could speed hours/overnight with the engine at idle just to keep the radios on air. Typically 3 or 4 mpg when running on road and about 1.5 mpg off road

I remember of fleet of Stollys bringing us ammunition, slogging up a steep hill fully loaded with 76mm and 7.62 ammunition.They could go wherever we could, from memory our vehicles could get up a 15inch vertical step

If can fully understand your 'itch' but even if you find one in full working order running cost are prohibitive If you find one that needs work, a real moneypit

With permanent 6 wheel drive, tyre wear on tarmac is high and axle wind-up occurs so you have to find somewhere slippy to drive on or jack up each wheel in turn to release the twist in the drive shafts

Folks tend not to argue with you in traffic, the protruding hubs cut civvy cars like a can opener. We theoreticaly didn't go on the public highway without a vehicle commander up top with radio driver intercom or the emergency comms ( commander to driver one way only I think)

A great Tonka toy if you have the funds, you can tell people that you have a Rolls Royce ( engine at least !)

Starting drills included selecting each gear 6 times before starting the engine to tighten the friction bands on the pre-selector gearbox ( not sure if the Stolly is the same)

As for the manuals, I think you'll find that there are websites catering for Saladin Saracen and probably ones for the Stalwart and Salamender
1 x

DonR

Post by DonR » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:15 pm

martin shaw wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:46 pm
but its an itch I have to scratch!
On my shopping list too when I win the lottery. If you're ever on the M6, 6 miles west of J2, there's one used to advertise a paintball site. You can't miss it - it's parked next to a Sepecat Jaguar ! Visible on google earth
0 x
Can Am Bombardier
Most of an airhead Beemer
Some CXs

martin shaw

Post by martin shaw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Cheers chaps for the replies and input.

Great comments and points taken about the prospect of a massive money pit. I'm pretty sure the gearbox arrangement is conventional, not pre-select and I know the risks of wind up on hard surfaces and the fuel 'economy', or lack of! But given all that, its still a tempting prospect.

Explaining why I want one is difficult. I now have the space and some funds, although not limitless by any stretch, but even if it just sits on around, gets started occasionally and driven around the farm, its just the idea of having it that appeals.

I know I'm among kindred spirts on here, and you all understand!
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:49 pm

You're absolutely right to go for this if you have the land , funds and inclination to maintain the vehicle. I'm sure you'll find websites for them together information.

We used to have connecting cables to 'slave' one vehicle with a good batteries to a dead vehicle. The Stolly probably has the same connectors so if you could rig that up to another 24:volt vehicle if you could fit a suitable connector and get hold of a slave lead , it would save a lot of hassle
0 x

arceye

Post by arceye » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:21 pm

That's the reason I bought an MT. As a Centurion wont fit in my parking space ! :roll:
Think a ferret would be great and not too much to run.
0 x
MT 405
Phil

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:52 pm

arceye wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:21 pm
That's the reason I bought an MT. As a Centurion wont fit in my parking space ! :roll:
Think a ferret would be great and not too much to run.
Yea, the Ferret is a good little bus, no axle wind up problems , about 10mpg , faster- rated as 4 tons but closer to 3, same Rolls engine but 6 cylinders not 8

The Stolly does have a lot more presence though also can both carry and tow
0 x

martin shaw

Post by martin shaw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:35 pm

And then of course, no matter how big the 'itch', reality sets in. As the stolly is a big heavy beast, I think I am going to need a Cat C licence to drive it on the roads. And lets face it, there's a lot of fun to be had driving a stolly on the public highway! I mistakenly figured that as I passed my test way back, I would be ok with the C1, but I don't think so, as its over 7.5 tonne. A slight hindrance, but not an obstacle that can't be overcome...…...
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Pah, kill joy pen pushers !
In my day all you needed was a car licence. And the small matter of a military licence - you weren't allowed to move an inch before you'd had lectures about the vehicle, checked and topped up oil in engine, hubs. You had to First Parade your vehicle checking oil, coolant, lights, horn , select each gear 6 times THEN you could start the engine but not move it before the temperature gauge reached 150 degrees. At the end of every day, a Last Parade, essentially looking for any oil leaks. The checks were all part of the theory part of the test

I had been driving a Saracen for about half an hour and a voice said in my headset ' By the way you're on your driving test'

An aside, as a Saladin commander I once told my new driver to go straight on at the roundabout. He did exactly as he was told, there was a small bump as we went over the curb, we then sailed straight over the top, then rumbled over the other side. No damage to the vehicle and just two parallel indentations in the soil.....
2 x