Action / helmet cam

A place for any non MT related guff...
Franc

Action / helmet cam

Post by Franc » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:51 am

Does anyone have any advice on a low budget camera for use out on the trails?
Ideally looking for something with a low profile to reduce the risk of catching it on the shrubbery, and stuff.
Obviously looking for good quality picture and data storage, not to worried about having a playback screen.
0 x

Minter

Re: Action / helmet cam

Post by Minter » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:03 am

Madstu is your man mate he uses one all the time...
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 am

As I mentioned to you on FB the GoPro range are excellent. I got a 4 Hero Silver for Christmas and it does 4k Ultra, fully stabilised image. Mounted on my helmet on top and its produced some cracking images. Shame I don't have enough bandwidth on my old steam internet connection to upload them in 4k or even HD!!
0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Minter wrote:Madstu is your man mate he uses one all the time...
Yeah, but I was thinking of using mine to document some ride outs.........
I've heard what them lot from Brighton use "helmet cams" for!!!!
0 x

MT Pocket

Post by MT Pocket » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Tesco are currently selling those Escape UHD ones for ÂŁ50 (they look like a GoPro)
They still make you resemble a tellytubby though.

I think it was Yoof that had a Ghost unit that gave good results which was a tube shape with no playback screen.
Have a look at the results on Techradar or similar for new ones out - Ebuyer may be selling some off at a discount price
0 x
MT 604 (Piggles- baby hog with wiings) bits of allsorts, CCM, WP, Brembo, hagon

jamba

Post by jamba » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:31 am

I'm also very interested to get me one action cam. I have been informed, that earlier gopros could be a good choise. They don't use so much battery as newer versions. I did found one seller from that E**y auction place that sells fixed gopros and they come with warranty. But they had all gopro 3 sold. So I'm still searching...
There are some gopro copies on the market, but think i'll wait till i find reasonable priced real one.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:19 pm

What I have found from the cheaper copies is they look vibration damping and that effects the final quality quite markedly. I was comparing an eBay special at the weekend on image quality and its quite clear with a GoPro you are not just paying for the name. I think some of the early go pros lack image stabilisation as well. The later ones have amazing stabilisation and of course you are getting into HD and Ultra HD territory with them. However thats a double edged sword as well because the files are so massive they are difficult to process and upload without reducing the resolution significantly!!
0 x

logieb

Post by logieb » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Have a look here for reviews of various makes of cam's include video comparisons also has a YouTube channel.

www.techmoan.com

Stu
0 x
MT500
1958 S1 88" Landy

Rocketron2

Post by Rocketron2 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:02 am

I use a 'Drift' camera, not cheap but built for outdoor rugged sport, great picture, they can take a 64gb micro card, long battery life and 100% waterproof, Mission Motorcycles in Bletchley, Milton Keynes, are main dealers, ring them for a good price, 01908 372211 and ask for Ben
0 x

MadStu

Post by MadStu » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:59 am

I use a Sony AS100V. I'd definitely go for a newer version of the Sony if I replaced it.

Go Pro's are good quality but as Ady was saying, the shape and mounting options make them stick out too much for my liking.

But the Sony aren't really the low budget option you are asking for unfortunately.
0 x
HD MT604e - THE WUF
Armstrong MT405e - THE CNS