Problem Can-Am

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
Brusher

Problem Can-Am

Post by Brusher » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Right, I reckon it's time to throw this one out there in an effort to get it sorted...

Bike starts fine. Bike idles fine. Touch the throttle and she dies.

Nice fat spark, plenty of fuel in carb and cylinder.
Had the Carb ultrasonically cleaned, set float height , adjusted idle air screw etc
No leaks in carb manifold or exhaust system.
Timing spot on.
I've recently replaced both crank shaft seals so I would be surprised if it was them...the bike doesn't seem to be smoking excessively which might indicate that seals have already given out.
I compression tested the engine yesterday and got a reading of 115 psi. I would say that's good...does anybody know the actual figure?

I had an idea this morning, that it might be the seal around the rotary valve cover...if it's gone might that reduce crank case pressure and thus prevent any revving higher then idle ?

So, that where I'm at. Any comments welcomed!
0 x

Rocketron2

Re: Problem Can-Am

Post by Rocketron2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:10 am

Sounds like the carb, i had the exact prob and stripped the carb down blew it thru put it back on and the prob was still there, so carb off and this time my friend said that before you blow it thru, take a single metal strand from a wire brush and push it thru the jets to losen any stubbern dirt, a small piece of something!! came out of the main jet by this method, blew it thru and bingo, runs great. It worked for me so its got to be worth a try but Im no expert. Also possible that you have a cracked air intake rubber between the carb and the engine and its sucking in air as you open the throttle. Minters the ace on these things and Im sure he will reply.
0 x

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:47 pm

have you tried to rev her with the choke on ?
only i had this problem on my mt and gradually i worked out that i could limp it home on full choke,,
and the fault was leaking inlet rubber , i couldn't see the crack as it was under the jubilee clip
0 x
Armstrong 600
500 outfit

canam

Post by canam » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:12 am

Whats it like if you run the idle speed screw up?
0 x
Over-engineering replacement parts that were under-engineered originally by the manufacturer is the whole point of having a home shop.

Brusher

Post by Brusher » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:12 am

Hi and thanks for your responses!

I'll answer in sequence:

1. Carb. Yes, of course, the carb is the first suspect. I've had the damn thing of more times then I can now remember. The last time was to have it ultrasonically cleaned. I'm reasonably happy to discount it now , but of course you never know!

2. Rev with the choke on. I've tried that, no symptomatic change. I can see what you;'re thinking though..

3. Idle screw all the way in. Yes. Again, no change. Grrrr.

If I raise the needle height in the carb thereby making it run richer, the bike still won't rev but it WILL pick up very slightly and not die completely... this points towards an air leak? The idle air screw is on its basic setting.
Last edited by Brusher on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

yeti341

Post by yeti341 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Sounds like the carb there a b.....er to clean I had one ultrasonicley cleaned but it was still blocked ,I wouldn't,t run it to long on prefix one of the mains is only lubricated by the pump,if you raise the needle it makes it richer I think.Paul at can am military is the man to speak to if you can't sort it very knowledgeable on these bikes and a top guy.
0 x

Brusher

Post by Brusher » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:21 pm

The carb is always the first suspect in a 2 stroke!
I just don't believe that there are any more ways that I can clean it. It must be virtually sterile by now.
I hear what you say about the oil pump, thanks! Also, yes you're right about the needle of course. I've edited my post.
0 x

yeti341

Post by yeti341 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:49 pm

Share your frustration mate one thing that comes to mind that I,'ve seen on two can am,s there's a plastic spacer in the slide that I,'ve seen put in before the needle makes the bikes very rich and they would not run??? needle in first then spacer. worth a check
0 x

Brusher

Post by Brusher » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Ha ha, yes - checked that! I've assembled the carb slide wrong before doing just what you've suggested! Very easily done.. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated :D
0 x

canam

Post by canam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:30 am

Brusher wrote:Ha ha, yes - checked that! I've assembled the carb slide wrong before doing just what you've suggested! Very easily done.. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated :D
So is it ok now?

Don't run premix in it. It's not needed the oil pump is a great system.
0 x
Over-engineering replacement parts that were under-engineered originally by the manufacturer is the whole point of having a home shop.