What have you done to your MT today ? contd

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
NeilM

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by NeilM » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Another day, another tinkering session.

First job today was to make a couple of stand off spacers.

Suitable diameter alloy bar stock located, a quick mock up showed they needed to be about 25 ish mm in length, so being the cautious (been play motybikes a long time) type that I am I cut a couple of 30mm lengths. Quick face off in the lathe, get them both the same length and then put a 6mm hole though both. Another quick mock up showed they really did need to be 25mm so another saw / facing sesh soon had the job done and time for a proper bolt together mock up....perfect.... even though I say it myself, so, out with the not quite matching NATO green paint and then leave them to dry, along with the steel mounting strip that had a couple of coats of spray galv last night before I went in.

Right, now to tackle the biggie, pannier racks.

George sent me one of his pannier fitting kits, which for the amount of hardware included in the bag in an absolute bargain, the only issue being that even with a printed copy of the exploded drawing from the manual, it was still a very suck it and see job sorting out which bolts and washers to use.

Offside pannier rack was pretty straightforward, a bit of brute force required to get everything lined up at times, but not too bad a job. Nearside... well what a mother.... of a job that was :evil: Almost nothing lined up, or at least if the rearmost mount had the bolt loosely in place, the front mount weren't playing, noooo sir. Still, as I say I have been messin with motorbikes a fair old while and built my fair share of bitza's, so in the end foul language and a large rubber mallet prevailed.

Last two jobs, fit the heat shield to the nearside rack and the tool box to the offside, at last, bolt holes that lined up.... job done.

I have been taking photos of the whole process, so I will ride the MT somewhere more presentable than my clutter filled workshop and get some finished pix and then get them posted.

Next job, LED day running lights, but that can wait until after the MOT in a few weeks.
0 x

P.I.STAKER

Post by P.I.STAKER » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Well done Neil, another one back on the road.

Be good to see the pictures

https://sites.google.com/site/gvsparts/
2 x
ARMSTRONG MT500 1984
BMW R1100S

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 pm

P.I.STAKER wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm
Be good to see the pictures

https://sites.google.com/site/gvsparts/
Pix to follow ASAP.... I just need it to stop raining long enough so that the camera does not get drenched. :roll:
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:29 pm

What I did to my MT today was...ride it and take some presentable pictures.

Tool box and mount.

Decompressor bracket.

Lever and power socket.

Heat shield.

I fancy that'll do for a bit.

Tyres are next, I was going to try Mitas MC24's but as I have just discovered TET, I think I may go with E07's instead.
1 x

pop

Post by pop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Gave the mt 350 a good going over..lights,horn indicators ect and a good clean ready for mot.. all seems in good order..booking it in tomorrow.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 pm

pop wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 pm
Gave the mt 350 a good going over..lights,horn indicators ect and a good clean ready for mot.. all seems in good order..booking it in tomorrow.
Be prepared to explain your black out switch to your MOT man. Good luck with the test
0 x

pop

Post by pop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:46 pm

Had that problem last year..had to explain to him..should be same man this year( I hope) thanks
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Today was the day to sort the really annoying slack in my throttle cable.

First job was take the twist grip all to bits to see what is what. Turns out it was a little grubby but otherwise perfect, and the cable fits the twist grip as it should, but, there is no adjuster and there is too much slack in the cable. The simple solution was to have a root through my bicycle bits and find a brake cable adjuster of around the right size. That done I removed the loose brass ferule off the end of the throttle cable, it had long since parted company with the cable outer and was held in place with electrical tape. Ferule removed it was replaced with the adjuster which itself required a wrap of tape to fit snugly into the twist grip body, that job done and all feeling well it was time to start up and test.

The adjuster has done the job perfectly, but, either by fitting the pannier racks, or more likely the heat shield in the rack (which is now reflecting sound), I became aware that the exhaust system was a little noisy, a quick crawl under the bike and a feel around located an exit hole that was not supposed to be there. The bike has always popped and banged a little when pushed hard, I knew the system was sucking air somewhere, now I know where. There is an inch long hole right inside the V of the bracket that the pannier rack attaches to... AND the MOT is due next month.... B*gger! :evil:

Tomorrows job is to try and fix a little alloy patch I have made, over the hole. What I use to 'glue' the patch in place I haven't decided yet, and I'm not certain that whatever I use will hold, I know one of the Belzona 1000 products would work, but it is expensive and I have put off buying some, I'll have a think as it only really needs to last long enough to get through the MOT, then I can save up for a Sportax system, for now, it needs a bodge...erm sorry, improvised repair.
0 x

#skippy1970

Post by #skippy1970 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Adjusted the clutch free play today :D

A quick wipe down with an oily rag :shock:

Over 60,000 kms of pretty much trouble free motoring, had a couple cambelts go due to a rusty crankshaft sprocket :oops:
Looking forward to the next 60,000
6 x
If my brain was to get any smarter it would become self aware and take over my body

MT350 GL36AA

yaka

Post by yaka » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:39 pm

great weather today, took the bike for a brief spin, front brake was really really loose feel to it. so thought sod it and finaly fit the big seat, brembo caliper with sportax's alu bracket and digital speedo which i had been planning for ages but really couldn't be arsed to do.

and i am not sure if i got the torque settings right or not but i managed to strip one of the allen screws:/

and sorta fitted the the bigger seat front clip for going under the tank will fit well and i will have to faff about with longer screws and washers and need to file bigger holes near the back of the seat to seat it flush

and i got the wrong speedo drive as the wheel spindle hole was too small :(

also thanks to George for sorting me out with some bolts for the bracket
1 x