Undersealing vehicles

A place to chat/ ask about tool, fitting out your workshop etc etc
woodruff

Undersealing vehicles

Post by woodruff » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:22 pm

I am after some advice or experiences with Undersealing or proofing the underside of vehicles.

I have in the past used old oil/grease mixes, waxoil Ect.

I have to seal the bottom of two classic cars, this will not be a back to metal job. I need to seal over the existing paint/Undersealing and rust. Obviously loose rust and edges will be removed as will flaking patches of previous coatings.

I don't want to use old oil, and would like a black rather than clear finish. While I am sceptical about rust stoping addatives and the like of some of the products available I am willing to give things a try.

Any suggestions?
0 x

Pewter

Re: Undersealing vehicles

Post by Pewter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:19 pm

This company is currently Rustproofing a 30 year old Vehicle for me. There is a lot of useful info on their website regarding treating/protecting vehicles.

http://www.rust.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:45 pm

3M underbody seal.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 pm

the mod used to use a hard setting underseal on the landrovers, the problem was if it cracked water would get in and let the steel rot under the underseal.

I used to use schutz but last lot I used on the landy was the Hammerite/waxoil/schutz http://www.hammerite-automotive.com/underbody.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this was applied 9yrs ago to a rear 1/4 chassis section, never washed since and there are 1 or 2 spots which are starting to show the need for attention. not holes in the metal, just where the coating has been damaged exposing small areas.

Pete
0 x
MT350

woodruff

Post by woodruff » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks for all the info so far, much appreciated.

Shiney...have you used the 3m product, if so how hard did it set?

Pete, yes I have been looking at that.

Problem with waxoil and bitumen based products is as you say the cracking and water ingress.

I have used ankorwax on original paint finishes in the past but don't feel it is quite up to use as a underbody sealer.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm

I used the 3m on the Landy. It sets hard but not rock hard. Has withstood heavy off road and quarry use.
0 x

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi .....I've always used Waxoyl on my 1988 Citroen 2CV .....it has preserved the car reasonably well over the last 25 years [needing only a minimal amount of welding ....and 2CV's are renowned for rusting].
However ....the word in the 2CV OC {2CVGB} at the mo seems to be Bilt Hamber .... http://www.bilthamber.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
....I aint tried it myself ....so I cant personally endorse it.

hth
ride safe
T.
0 x

Jacko

Post by Jacko » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 pm

I use a 50/50 mix of black waxoyl and waste engine oil. Applied with a Shultz gun. Gets in to all the corners ( where rust always seems to start ) and never really sets too hard. I've found this slows transit rust down so you can hardly see it spreading daily!!!!
0 x

ellrider

Post by ellrider » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Jacko wrote:I've found this slows transit rust down so you can hardly see it spreading daily!!!!
But I've got a Transporter! :roll:
0 x
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that
matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:02 pm

ellrider wrote:
Jacko wrote:I've found this slows transit rust down so you can hardly see it spreading daily!!!!
But I've got a Transporter! :roll:
nothing slows transit rust down :x much to my cost :cry: twice :(
0 x