Sandblaster Advice please

A place to chat/ ask about tool, fitting out your workshop etc etc
Shedtip

Sandblaster Advice please

Post by Shedtip » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 am

I'm looking at getting a sandblaster to do some light cleaning (such as exhaust headers) and maybe eventually a full frame. I've looked into this a little but but would like to make sure I'm on the right track. I'm just looking at the cheapest way to improve on using Nitromors & brush on a drill!

The most basic setup would be to get a 2 1/2 HP compressor and simply fit a nozzle on the end. This would do for little job.
An upgrade to this would be to fit a moisture filter to help avoid the grit clogging.
The next step would be to get a sandblaster chamber that I assume contains all the grit and also contains compressed air by the compressor and probably built in filter.

Is this correct, have I missed anything out? Is 2 1/2 HP good enough.?

Also, I've seen some nozzles advertised as 'spot blasters'. These seem to be cheap but basic - are they any good?

Thanks in advance.
0 x
(MT350)

Mr Shiney

Re: Sandblaster Advice please

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:59 am

Quite a few club members have seen my set up. Here is my experience....

2.5hp is nowhere near enough to media blast anything other than the tiniest parts with a blast cabinet. 2.5hp is going to give you a FAD of about 3.5cfm. Trying to blast anything with proper filtration will end in disaster. Your compressor will produce huge amounts of water. This will just travel up the hoses and turn the blasting media into paste. Those spot guns are like chocolate fire guards other than for the tiniest job like a rust spot on a frame. I have one that I use for soda blasting engines to clean them up.

I use a Sealey/Power King desktop blast cabinet. This needs 8cfm to run. I use 80grit Aluminium Oxide media. This is connected to my workshop air system which is triple filtered and is capable of removing 99.9999% of moisture. The filter system cost £500 alone. This is all driven by a Hydrovane - Vane compressor giving 10CFM FAD at 10 bar. I also have a double receiver system that auto dumps the moisture traps. Connected to this is a hoover that lowers the pressure in the cabinet to counteract the incoming air flow. If you don't do this then dust just pours out the lid. Make sure you wear a mask as well. Its some nasty shit that comes out in the dust. Neve use sand, it can give you silicoses.

I also have a pressure pot blaster that allows me to blast larger items, but this needs an area that you can recapture the media such as a lined shed or a lot of tarpaulin. It also creates a HUGE amount of mess.

My advice is if you want to do something that does not fit in a workbench blast get cabinet get someone to do it professionally. But whatever you do you must filter the compressor output. Not just for the blast cabinet but for the sake of tools.

The little blast cabinet I have will do most motorbike parts that I need to touch up. Big stuff goes to my local guy who charges naff all.

I use a PCL Dropout system sat behind a standard coalescing and water separating filter. Each workshop port is again filtered and water separated and I have a dedicated Carbon filtered and separated output for spraying and air fed mask.

The one is use is the PDO300A.

http://www.drop-out.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pclairtechnology.com/Product ... m5PMJGfu3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.airlines-pneumatics.co.uk/pr ... #technical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A couple of pictures of my set up.

0 x

Murdock

Post by Murdock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I got one of these from machine mart a few years ago http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... andblaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I payed just over £100 on one of their VAT off sales. I find it a useful piece of kit for the money. BUT you need a big compressor to run it has it uses a lot of air. I have a 5hp 3ph compressor that just copes with it :|
0 x

ellrider

Post by ellrider » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Fudge sandblasting just use Hammerite.

Smooth if you want a good finish.

:D
0 x
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that
matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Murdock wrote:I got one of these from machine mart a few years ago http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... andblaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I payed just over £100 on one of their VAT off sales. I find it a useful piece of kit for the money. BUT you need a big compressor to run it has it uses a lot of air. I have a 5hp 3ph compressor that just copes with it :|

Yep, thats the same one I have. Got it in the same offer I suspect.

You are right it absolutely gulps air. At 10 CFM FAD and nearly 200l of receivers I still have to stop and wait for catch up.
0 x

philgunn

Post by philgunn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Try feeding the POT into the small Cabinet , and your results will be much faster and better, the Cabinet works on the Venturi principle , and the Pot on Direct pressure , it will need a vacuum connected to the cabinet to help reduce pressure and help with the dust , I use crushed Glass and it gives off a lot of Dust

gunner
0 x
MT500
MT350/e
CVT560
BSA B40
BSA M20 (Bits Required)
Sanglas 400 Militario
Sanglas 400 Electrico
CanAm250 Bombardier... i better stop there

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I did try that and you are right the results are better. However its uses so much air that I did not get any real advantage over using the standard cabinet gun and aluminium oxide. For the stuff I do mainstream which is small parts like brakes callipers, pedals and levers etc the standard set up works just fine. I rarely use the pot as its a pain to set up and feed and for big jobs I just send it out. I can get most big stuff blasted in an afternoon.
0 x

arceye

Post by arceye » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:58 pm

I just take my parts to work and use the blaster in my welding room. :D
0 x
MT 405
Phil