20 gallon paraffin washer

A place to chat/ ask about tool, fitting out your workshop etc etc
vic

Re: 20 gallon paraffin washer

Post by vic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi Zip

I did not think of that I will throw a couple of cylinder heads in.

Anyone with a parts washer, small magnets six inch away from the pump will pick up lumps of rust.

Thumper

I have seen a post that mentions adding water to the paraffin. I will give it ago in the small tank to try, it will break my heart if I have to right off all that paraffin

Thanks lads

Vic
0 x

Thumper

Post by Thumper » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 am

I also add a squirt of anti-bacteria fuel additive as over time (12 months or more) you can get strange things growing in the mix....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 am

I just use Gizer in my parts washer, last ages, is water soluble for rinsing when done and does not grow mould or other nasties.

The magnet in the bottom is a nice idea though. I will stick an old hard drive magnet in!
0 x

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Has the tank got a heater? They really do make a difference you can brush it all over and close the lid and let it sit awhile and it removes the heaviest crud in fine style.

A place I used to work at had a parts washer that was maintained by a firm. I used to empty a few litres out before it got dirty each week which filled up my home made de-greasing rig . That was a baby burco boiler with a washing machine pump and an old stainless sink on top with a sheet of aluminium for a lid. It did some great work, I don't do that amount of work anymore so I don't need one. Very handy if you do a lot of work on old engines etc.

Ta,
0 x
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

ginger cat

Post by ginger cat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Good suggestion Zip tie regarding volume. (Picture the scene) .I went round to Vics the other night and
he's sat in the tank with a pair of trunks on and a toilet brush in his hand scrubbing gearbox parts.
He looked really pleased with himself . :D :D

Paul.
0 x

vic

Post by vic » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Cat Boy

I will not be doing that again, my plumbs shrank and the plastic ducks melted in the paraffin

Vic
0 x

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:47 pm

the mind boggles :?

brian
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

diggerdogk9

Post by diggerdogk9 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:43 pm

appyarry wrote:Has the tank got a heater? They really do make a difference you can brush it all over and close the lid and let it sit awhile and it removes the heaviest crud in fine style.

A place I used to work at had a parts washer that was maintained by a firm. I used to empty a few litres out before it got dirty each week which filled up my home made de-greasing rig . That was a baby burco boiler with a washing machine pump and an old stainless sink on top with a sheet of aluminium for a lid. It did some great work, I don't do that amount of work anymore so I don't need one. Very handy if you do a lot of work on old engines etc.

Ta,

Re heater :- our old galv tank at last place of work was insulated with wood sides n lid and was heated with a tropical fish tank heater! Heater was protected with zinc fly mesh in one corner and full of jizer the old boy who used it used to swear that the heater made a huge difference, we used to give him stick when it was on due the the smell just so it would keep his hands warm!

All got stripped out a few years ago and a new smaller tank installed every time he used it he moaned bucketfulls not as good as old one . Cold hands springs to mind :lol:
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I use a fish tank heater in mine, set to max which is about 34c. Makes a big difference.
0 x

vic

Post by vic » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi all

I have been thinking about making a power washer that runs off the compressor, like a sand blaster with fluid instead of sand.

Just right for blasting the shite off the big aluminium swing arms like the Suzuki Srad.
For weeks I have been racking my brain how to build the cabinet and today I found just the job.

A bar top Coke fridge with the glass door. It was in the corner of a yard that refurbishes pubs. I was buzzing when they said I could have it only to find the glass door twisted.

If anyone’s got a sand blasting cabinet could it be used for what I need????????

Vic
0 x