TIG welding or making a fiberglass tank

A place to chat/ ask about tool, fitting out your workshop etc etc
TDIPower

TIG welding or making a fiberglass tank

Post by TDIPower » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm faced with needing to fab a fuel tank at some point in the near future for a project. I was going to model in foam then glass it, BUT with ethanol being so common in modern fuel it has a bad effect on the resin and will kill the tank within a few years (unless someone knows better and can point me to the materials to use).
So I have been thinking I can fab up a fuel cell and then do a shell to go over it for the aesthetics. I can mig but know that mig can be porous so was thinking TIG would be the better option (but I have never used a TIG rig and don't own one).
So what would I need to be able to get TIGing? I know that some rigs will only work with some materials, I have a good selection of sheet stainless (prob best material in my mind) sheet mild steel (it goes rusty though but I know I can paint it) or sheet alu (cant weld it to steel products i.e. tap fixings or cap stuff)
I would like the facility to do all the above so I can play about at some point.

The major factor is the cost, obviously free is the best but I know that won't happen.

Could those of you that know about TIG or Glassing give me their thoughts, links to kit etc.

Cheers Pete
0 x
MT350

ZIP TIE
Location: unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Re: TIG welding or making a fiberglass tank

Post by ZIP TIE » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:09 pm

There is always the option of fibreglass then lined with ethanol resistant tank sealer.
Also I wouldn't be surprised if they now do ethanol tolerant resin for that very reason.
0 x

ZIP TIE
Location: unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by ZIP TIE » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:11 pm

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materi ... 42395.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ethan ... ent=safari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x

Yoof

Post by Yoof » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:19 pm

I recently got myself a TIG set, went for a Cobel 200amp AC/DC HF set.
For non alloys you only need a DC set, if you want to weld alloys then you need AC.
AC sets are more expensive.
Ideally you want HF (high frequency) start as this sends a small spark to start the arc.
Cheaper DC sets have scratch start which is crap as you need to strike the tungsten to get the arc going like stick welding.
I bought a Chinese set and im chuffed with it. Welded my stainless exhaust with is and have done some ally stuff too with good results.
Its never going to beat the 3 phase ones we had at college but im not minted... or have 3 phase in the garage..
Argon Gas is not cheap either and TIG uses quite allot as you have a post gas function which shields your weld as its cooling. I think you can use C02 if your only welding steels.
0 x
MT560e
BMW R75/5
Honda CB250rs
MZ TS250
BSA M20

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:42 am

I have an AC/DC Thermal Arc TIG unit which is great on aluminium. It's HF and has a pedal. Nice unit and it gives great welds.

However old school method of producing aluminium tanks is using gas and the source material as a filler. I have been experimenting with this and when polished the colour match and finish are seamless.
0 x