Big Meet 2016 ideas and suggestions

As it says on the tin
TDIPower

Re: Big Meet 2016 ideas and suggestions

Post by TDIPower » Mon May 04, 2015 10:00 pm

The MVT seem to have lots of different events throughout the year and it could be we selected one in the right place.

This one looks interesting....

Sept 25th/26th/27th Yorkshire MVT Crank Down Somewhere in Yorkshire! This is yet another of our famous 'crank down' events by now these events are well known, final location of camp site(s) to be confirmed. Two days of convoy running through the Yorkshire countryside, one or two nights camping (not free) and at least two days of great fun guaranteed, providing you like driving your military vehicle. Contact: Brian Slingsby brian@fourplus4.co.uk

link to a write up http://www.yorkshiremvt.co.uk/eventspic ... nkdown.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pete
0 x
MT350

Laurence

Post by Laurence » Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 pm

I've been doing war and peace for as long as I can remember now (Been going with my dad for the past 12+ years!)
It's a very relaxed show with great stalls and beer tents ;) the only downside I can see is securing a pitch big enough for everyone, as it usually ends being a free for all with people turning up weeks in advance to rope off their own areas.. But maybe the organisers can sort something?
There's no need for any uniforms as we'd be displaying military vehicles and there'd be no issue with non standard bikes, but there is always bound to be someone who comments on your non regulations shade of olive drab :D
Just my few pennies, but W&P gets my vote
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Bonnielad wrote:How about linking in with the Military Vehicles Trust? They might be sympathetic and willing.

http://www.mvt.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I subscribed to the MVT for several years, but did not renew this year.

Their magazine has a comprehensive list of shows, and is well worth looking at if some one has a current copy.

One on the local/county type shows might be very plesaed to have about 40 MTs on show (whatever their current look, they are all ex-military)

I remember reading one review recently on a show with an off-road track, probably one of the Land Rover ones though.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300
2015 Honda CB500F

ellrider

Post by ellrider » Tue May 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Derrick wrote:
Bonnielad wrote:How about linking in with the Military Vehicles Trust? They might be sympathetic and willing.

http://www.mvt.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I subscribed to the MTV for several years, but did not renew this year.
I subscribed too and all I got was music.
0 x
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that
matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Tue May 05, 2015 3:03 pm

I went to the W&P for about 6 years on the trot, its a terriffic show but its far too far away for The Big Meet - its roughly 4 hours from Stafford, 5 hours from Devon etc.

The USP of The Big Meet is that its central enough for most to get to.

We wont be having it in a field, we have plenty of riding events in fields.

The BMF were screwed over last year with the independent event company going under and taking all the lolly with them, this year Peterborough sold the BMFs slot without discussing it with them. It should be on for next year.

Yorkshire MVT looks great, I dont know we could tag 50 odd bikes on the end of their camping weekend although if we can supply a field kitchen etc we might be able to negotiate but still, its not an event for our bikeless or infirm (unless we can arrange lifts in their wagons).

The Telford show appears to be inside only.

Keep the ideas coming but bear in mind the above. Thanks
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Blitz

Post by Blitz » Tue May 05, 2015 5:09 pm

The big MVT events look like North Yorkshire way. York air museum looks like a good one.

Is that too far North though?

Kettering is another big one listed.

I Agree with Simon, sitting in a field on our tod isn't appealing and not all members are set up for off roading events or even riding at all.
0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Tue May 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Just a thought,
They hold a land rover show at Eastnor castle every year, they often have other vehicles both civvy and military, plus they have the land rover test track.
Not sure if it's viable but it's just a thought.
0 x

ellrider

Post by ellrider » Tue May 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Notting Hill Carnival.
0 x

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue May 05, 2015 7:56 pm

The problem is finding somewhere central so that, apart for a few exceptions, we all have roughly the same distance to travel. As much as Yorkshire is a lovely place. I think this would end up a 'north only meet', I may be wrong but I don't think some of the members from 'down south' would wish to spend most of the day traveling.

Pirate
0 x
LAST SEEN IN A TRENCH SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE.

ARMSTRONG MT500
HD MT350/500e conversion
F650GS (Dutch Army)
KLR 250 Kevin

ellrider

Post by ellrider » Tue May 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Pirate wrote:The problem is finding somewhere central so that, apart for a few exceptions, we all have roughly the same distance to travel. As much as Yorkshire is a lovely place. I think this would end up a 'north only meet', I may be wrong but I don't think some of the members from 'down south' would wish to spend most of the day traveling.

Pirate
You can **** off if you think it's going to be near you, where the hell is planet Zog. :D
0 x