What have you done to your MT today ? contd

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
NeilM

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by NeilM » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Bike passed the MOT today, I knew it would but it is always a relief.
1 x

AK-47

Post by AK-47 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Dropped the skid pan and sump to clean out before an oil change.

I was surprised (but not a lot), to find the debris in the picture. It seems it was last done when Noah was an apprentice.

The sludge was almost solid, so anyone wanting to do an oil change, this is recommended.

0 x
Triumph Daytona 1200. BSA D14 Bantam.

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:34 pm

AK-47 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:16 pm
Dropped the skid pan and sump to clean out before an oil change.

I was surprised (but not a lot), to find the debris in the picture. It seems it was last done when Noah was an apprentice.

The sludge was almost solid,
Glad to hear that you dropped the sump, I did it on one MT only to find the gauze missing completely 😮

Even if your engine would have been undamaged had you left it, at least you know that it's clean now. If you check it in the future, you'll probably find it clean apart from fine particles which seem to find their way in
0 x

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Today, I have mostly been.....
Fitting a Dellorto! Bugger is, I can’t go for test ride, I’ve had a minor op on the side of my head and can't wear a helmet. Next weekend but it started and I’ve adjusted the idle, it revs nice and easy. Only skinned one knuckle too!
0 x
‘13 KTM Adventure 1190
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11

Gilk

Post by Gilk » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:50 pm

Changed the fork oil and put some air in suspension, front and back. Feels better.
The oil that came out was red, reminded me of when I was a poor youth and used 2 stroke oil in my forks as it was cheeper.
0 x

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Finally managed a road test with a little bit of green lane with my newly fitted Dell’Orto carb. Wow! No more fear of the stall at traffic lights, smooth power delivery and no notchiness. Free revving, far more power and top end higher speed without feeling i5 is being strangled. All in all....nice!
1 x
‘13 KTM Adventure 1190
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11

mtsam

Post by mtsam » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Fitted Oxford hot grips.
0 x

yeti341

Post by yeti341 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Nothing cause I sold it worst decision I ever made soon as the ariel is sold gonna get another one best bike I ever had :x :x
3 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Dunno about you guys but I find the saddle on my MT500 a little slab like, not exactly uncomfortable but a bit like a slab of sprung vinyl which I guess is pretty much what it is. Anyway, looking at a few adventure video's and websites I noticed a few people put sheepskin covers on their saddles, so I thought I'd give it a go, but before I spent money my wife suggested I try a 'seat saver', this is a cover made of quilted wool (kinda sheepskin without the skin) that is designed to fit on a horse riding saddle, she said she had a spare that did not fit either of our saddles so I gave it a try on the MT and it fitted a treat, so with the addition of a length of elastic near the back I installed it and gave it a try by riding up and over the Mendips for a couple of hours this afternoon, it works a treat, no slipping or sliding and a saddle that is just a tiny bit more compliant.

1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:16 pm

NeilM wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:22 pm
Dunno about you guys but I find the saddle on my MT500 a little slab like, not exactly uncomfortable but a bit like a slab of sprung vinyl which I guess is pretty much what it is. Anyway, looking at a few adventure video's and websites I noticed a few people put sheepskin covers on their saddles, so I thought I'd give it a go, but before I spent money my wife suggested I try a 'seat saver', this is a cover made of quilted wool (kinda sheepskin without the skin) that is designed to fit on a horse riding saddle, she said she had a spare that did not fit either of our saddles so I gave it a try on the MT and it fitted a treat, so with the addition of a length of elastic near the back I installed it and gave it a try by riding up and over the Mendips for a couple of hours this afternoon, it works a treat, no slipping or sliding and a saddle that is just a tiny bit more compliant
Putting a cover on an old saddle is, to my mind 'Liptick on the Pig'. If you want a softer saddle, especially on a 30 year old bike, renew the foam ( density to your requirement). You can undo the staples easily enough and renew the foam cutting it to size then use a heavy duty stapler to refit. Foam and staples cost buttons. If funds permit a professional could do the job for you.

You could take the opportunity to invest in a new cover also. We have a forum member in the Lake District who makes MT seat covers. You could put your bush fix cover on the top if you wish.
0 x