What have you done to your MT today ? contd

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
NeilM

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by NeilM » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Took the MT500 for an MOT today, I had spent a while going over it to make sure everything was good. Having built a number of custom bikes from scratch and restored some old classics, I had a fair idea of what I needed to pay attention to.

It FAILED! :o

One thing I had not thought to check (it never crossed my mind) was the tyre direction arrows. I did not fit the tyres and never gave them a glance as they are both in good condition.... BOLLX!

One good thing, the owner of the MOT garage has an Aprillia Toureg 600, he only recently bought it very cheaply as the starter is faulty, he was going to fix the starter and sell the bike on, but he said he cannot find anyone who does spares. I pointed him in the direction Sportax, as I am sure the engine is a Rotax.

Anyway, new tyres ordered, I was going to get some anyway and rather than take the rear one off twice, I might just as well change the damned thing, along with the front, and be done with it.
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:33 pm

NeilM wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm
Anyway, new tyres ordered, I was going to get some anyway and rather than take the rear one off twice, I might just as well change the damned thing, along with the front, and be done with it.
Renew rim tapes and tubes whilst you're at it if you dont know how old they are . I've seen an old tube fail after a mile of off road riding. For me it's a no-brainer, take the opportunity to stack the odds in your favour
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:24 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:33 pm
Renew rim tapes and tubes whilst you're at it if you dont know how old they are . I've seen an old tube fail after a mile of off road riding. For me it's a no-brainer, take the opportunity to stack the odds in your favour
New tubes also ordered, as you say, it is a given when you don't know what is in there and when it was fitted.

Hopefully I will end up with two spare tubes, but they are so cheap it would be silly not to replace them.

Minter: If you get a call or e-mail from a guy in Weston-s-Mare, you'll know why.
1 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Tyres have arrived, which is impressive as I only ordered them yesterday lunchtime, well done Trellesport.

Must be 15 years since I last fitted motorbike tyres.... wish me luck.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:15 pm

NeilM wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:30 pm
Must be 15 years since I last fitted motorbike tyres.... wish me luck.
They're not the easiest , just don't watch Minter changing an MT tyre- it takes him about 10 minutes AND looks as fresh as a daisy afterwards.

That said, if you can do the job at leisure, it's good practice for having to do it on a track miles from civilisation. The standard military levers will do the job , JUST, it's far easier with slightly longer levers though

Good Luck
1 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Well the front one is on! :mrgreen:

But the back one has defeated me totally. :oops:

I must be badly out of practice is all I can say...

I attempted the back one first.

Got all my tyre changing bits and bobs out, wooden blocks, rags, little tyre leavers, Mo-Fo tyre levers (old car levers from around nineteen canteen) and in about 20 minutes with not one swear words uttered I had an old tyre and a wheel. I must say, I have never before had to use a lump hammer and an old tyre lever to break the bead of a tyre, but you know, every day is a school day. Scrubbed off all the cr@p from inside the rim, all good in there so time to lube up the new tyre and.... and .... and after an hour of lubing and cajoling and levering and sweating I was no closer than I had been an hour before... and this was just getting the first bead on the rim. In desperation I decided I had started at the wrong end, so popped a jack under the engine and in not too long I had the front wheel out.

Now that one went as planned and was about as difficult as I remember new rubber and alloy rims as being (I fought my Laverda 3C a number of times over the years). The front tyre wasn't keen on seating all the way round, but that is pretty common with tubeless mtb tyres so I used the same methods, only with a lot less air pressure.

So, that is how things currently are. I fancy a trip to the chap at the garage where the MOT was done will be needed tomorrow, I really am feeling my age right now and I suspect those guys will have the damn thing on in ten minutes. I guess it is all a matter of practice and experience, and I am desperately short of both.

Minter, you must be a man of iron.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:43 pm

NeilM wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:35 pm
So, that is how things currently are. I fancy a trip to the chap at the garage where the MOT was done will be needed tomorrow, I really am feeling my age right now and I suspect those guys will have the damn thing on in ten minutes. I guess it is all a matter of practice and experience, and I am desperately short of both.

Well done for getting the front done and dusted

If you tackled the back tomorrow with renewed energy I'm sure you'd manage it. If the tyres are sticking to the rims, they probably haven't been changed in years. Standing on the sidewall will break the bead or a even large G -cramp if you have one. As soon as you've broken the bead in one area the rest should come away easily. Break the beed on both sides and push them into the middle of the wheel. Once you have a small foot -long section over the rim the rest should be easy ( honest) . Removing old hardened tyres can be a challenge, new, more supple tyres is a lot easier.

As for Minter, in the army he would have taught many new riders how to do the job , and as he competed ( still does) would need to change tyres frequently under time pressure. I have seen him ride in competion and you're right, a man of iron indeed !

P S The first time I changed MT tyres I thought it was mission impossible but I was grateful that I'd done it when I got a 6 inch nail through a tyre in deepest Wales, a zillion miles from anywhere ( including a phone signal)
1 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement Wirralman.

While my dearly beloved was cooking dinner I had a good look on youtube and I have to say my technique is flawed, so I shall have another go at getting the rear tyre on tomorrow as I really don't like being defeated by things mechanical.
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am

NeilM wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:35 pm

:lol: Just practice! If it's a Mitas tyre from my old Army mate Gwyn they are made from a very stiff rubber and I need tyre levers! If it's a Michelin I can do them with my hands!!

We do a while you wait service on tyres and charge a tenner a tyre which is around £1 a minute!

Pop in next time you need one changing as I love changing tyres! :ugeek:
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:53 am

Minter wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am
If it's a Mitas tyre from my old Army mate Gwyn they are made from a very stiff rubber and I need tyre levers! If it's a Michelin I can do them with my hands!!

We do a while you wait service on tyres and charge a tenner a tyre which is around £1 a minute!

Pop in next time you need one changing as I love changing tyres! :ugeek:
It is a Mitas E07 plus, so that is my excuse sorted, even 'The Iron Man' needs tyre levers to put a Mitas tyre on.

I would be happy to watch you at work with my wheel and tyre, but I'm afraid you are a fair old drive from W-s-M, so maybe another time.

I'm going to give it another go later and if I REALLY can't get the damn thing on, I will admit defeat and get it to the lads at the garage, I need an MOT far more than I need tired muscles.
0 x