What have you done to your MT today ? contd

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Wirralman

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by Wirralman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:49 am

giff wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:51 am
sahara 3 tyres .fxxxxxxinxxxxxxx ite ,front tyre suffered inner tube cuts x4,, patches sealed x3 ,1 x leaking bugger.waiting for new inner tube....shopping list gets bigger.its like a restoration every ride :D :roll: im still exited at me matching rubber bits :geek:
Sounds normal, I once bought an MT 300 miles from away 'It's ok to ride home' he said. New front tyre, back cracked all round. Both tubes very old and rim tapes heavily patched with gaffa tape- 6 years maintenance bills from a bike shop !

Using military tyre levers, it's hard going buy some longer ones that you can strap under the rear rack or put in panniers. MT tyre fitting gets easier after you've done it a few times! Good luck with your project
0 x

yaka

Post by yaka » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:46 am

tube replacement is the one thing i am dreading, i have the levers and spare tubes but would much prefer the quicker patch job i could do on my previos bike with tubless wheel. shame we dont have the option to go tubeless
0 x

ZIP TIE
Location: unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by ZIP TIE » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:51 am

yaka wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:46 am
tube replacement is the one thing i am dreading, i have the levers and spare tubes but would much prefer the quicker patch job i could do on my previos bike with tubless wheel. shame we dont have the option to go tubeless
You can with the tubliss system,not that cheap but a lot of people like it especially as you can run really low tyre pressures without the risk of tyre creep or the tyre coming off the rim.
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 pm

yaka wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:46 am
Smart move to renew tubes, fit new rim tapes whilst you have things apart. I went off road one time and within a mile one of the group ( of MTs) had a flat- his old tube just couldn't cope with the extra load.

It does get easier the more times you do it and the practice you get is really useful when you pick up a 6 inch nail in your tyre whilst out on the road ( I've been there, done that)

Don't watch Minter doing the job, he does it so effortlessly you'll only disheartened- the Queen trained him well 😊
2 x

deadgrass.

Post by deadgrass. » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 pm

2 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Took my MT out for a nice ride along the Dutch coast today, first time in years my wife joined me on the back. Forgot to close the oilcap so it all sprayed on us and my wife kept sliding towards me and the ride ended rather lubricated and slippery. Still can’t decide if it was a romantic ride or just a dirty one... A bit of both i guess :? :twisted:
3 x
*Harley X90
*Harley SX175
*Harley MT350
*Cagiva Ala Verde
*Royal Enfield Bullet Diesel

Laurence

Post by Laurence » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Dropped the oil and replaced with the expensive non dinosaur variety
2 x
..VFR 400..
..MT 350..
..Enfield Explorer..

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Laurence wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:34 pm
Dropped the oil and replaced with the expensive non dinosaur variety
I dropped mine on the journey to Hereford. :o
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Laurence

Post by Laurence » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

lardmarc wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:44 pm

I dropped mine on the journey to Hereford
Here's to hoping that you've replaced it!

I stopped my oil leak/s before the Shetland trip, i bet they start again as soon as I arrive in Ratlinghope...
0 x
..VFR 400..
..MT 350..
..Enfield Explorer..

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:38 pm

No pix I'm afraid, but today I made up a decompressor bracket for my MT500.

When I bought the bike I was advised that stopping the engine with the decompressor was mechanically more sympathetic to the sprag clutch. The engine is from an MZ and had a decompressor cable bracket fitted, but when I bought a cable I realised all was not right and the cable and bracket just did not line up at all.

Today I took the original bracket off, found some 25mm wide strip steel in the workshop, thinned the width of the strip to form a kind of L shape and then slowly worked from end to end with lots of trial fittings, drilling, heating and bending the strip to fit the head, with a 80 ish degree bend at the very end. Another hole and a slot was cut ready for the cable. The bracket was then thoroughly cleaned with thinners and given several coats of spray on galv paint (from Screwfix), the colour matches the silver paint on the MZ / Rotax.

I am a very keen cyclist so was convinced that somewhere I would have a split cable adjuster..... nope, so I cut a slot into an adjuster and nut with a hacksaw, trimmed it to length and then tried it once again for size... all good.

Next the lever end. I found a suitable little lever left over from my son's BMX days. I had to thin the plastic portion at the lever end of the cable, but with a little work and a sharp blade it fitted together like it was made for the job.

The MT can be a bit of a b*gger to get into neutral, so I wanted to position the decompressor lever so that I could get a finger to it while still holding the clutch lever, so the next job was to get the grip and the left hand lever housing off. GT85 and a long fine screwdriver are your friends when grip removal is called for, that what we use on the MTB's. Ten minutes later it was all back together again looking like it was meant to be there.

Final job was a quick ride round the block, into the garage, pull the clutch in and pull the decomp lever with one finger. Job done.

I know I could have bought all the bits from suppliers on this forum... but I am poor pensioner, plus, where's the fun in that!
1 x