Looking for an MT500.

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Windheeta

Re: Looking for an MT500.

Post by Windheeta » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:27 am

Hi there, thinking of adding an MT to my quirky collection, but undecided 🤔😎
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 am

Welcome Windheeta

You are best opening your own new forum thread rather than jumping on someone else's
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:25 am

AK-47 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 pm
Ah, pressed button B and didn't get my money back...

I am now the owner of an MT500 that is in need of TLC (as I suspect most are when they have been in not-so-careful hands). The oil and biblical filter (plus primary), being the first port of call.

As I come across problems and issues I'll post them, and once I've gained some knowledge, might be able to pass on anything.

Thanks again gents.
When changing your main filter, take the opportunity to replace the spring and seal at the base of the filter bowl. It may reduce leakage into the sump when your bike is not in use.

Also, if it were me, I would remove your sump plate and check the gauze filter. You may find some fine particles at the very least, some have found larger material, I opened up one and found the gauze missing !

Check out the Initial Servicing Guide, about the 4th post in the General section.

As for problems and issue the forum.is structured , you may find answers to problems within the relevant section

PS If you can make it to a forum meeting, Minter (Sportax) runs an LAD service
1 x

AK-47

Post by AK-47 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks Wirralman,

I got as far as the paper oil filter and primary oil filter coming off and the latter being previously tightened with six feet of scaffolding welded to the spanner. In the process of getting it off in a HD vice, the two attachment flanges got bent. A bitch of a job to get them back, but managed today. I'd not considered the sump plate and gauze, thanks for that, I'll be sure to check that out at the weekend; I'll let you know what I found.
0 x
Triumph Daytona 1200. BSA D14 Bantam.

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 pm

The primary oil filter calls for loctite, hence it can be 'as tight as a very tight thing ' if too much has been used in the past

Checking/ renewing the seal at the base of the oil filter bowl is to me a no- brainer, it costs coppers and keeps oil where it should be ( in theory at least)

Hopefully you'll find nothing in the gauze but cleaning the sump and knowing there is nothing untoward is in my view well worth the effort

Do not overfill or you'll win an MT Tee shirt and have a mess to clean up !

Your work WILL be rewarded, over the years so many owners have thought that their roughly toughy MT thrives on reglect ! They often sport an RAC Frequent Flier badge
1 x