Looking for an MT500.

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
AK-47

Looking for an MT500.

Post by AK-47 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 pm

I currently own three bikes, but am looking for an MT500 to commute to work. Grey hair and advancing years mean that it won’t be used for ‘off-road’. Rode them in the Army in various places, and was directed to the site by the British Legion Bikers and two friend who have them.
ps. Never registered on-line to something like this, so old dog, new tricks.
0 x
Triumph Daytona 1200. BSA D14 Bantam.

twmtomos1

Re: Looking for an MT500.

Post by twmtomos1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm

welcome to the club ,theres plenty of info on here,the 500 is kick start only and the 350 is kick start and electric start and a few more diffrences
0 x

MTBrown

Post by MTBrown » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:57 pm

The H-D MT350 is probably a much better commuter bike and will be 10 years younger than an MT500 with electric start and decent brakes. The only slight disadvantage is an engine that might have to be revved bit more but it depends on what sort of commuting you will be doing.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Welcome to the forum

As mentioned a kick start only, drum brake, crusty wiring is not the most user friendly. The MT350 with electric start, disc brakes and newer wiring is far more user friendly but has less power

MTs are 'do-anything' bikes, doing no one thing particularly well.

If you want a reliable commuter bike, buy a Honda. It'll run forever, have enough power to commute, can be fixed and serviced anywhere, parts readily available, comfortable, designed for road use, good lights, tubless

The only BUT is that they are on every street corner. The MT is not designed for commuting, traffic light Grand Prix etc but it is DIFFERENT

Ask around on the forum to see if there is anyone in your area who could let you have a look at his bike
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 pm

MTBrown wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:57 pm
The only slight disadvantage is an engine that might have to be revved bit more.
The biggest disadvantage it has is having side panels with Harley Davidson on.
2 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:03 pm

lardmarc wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 pm
MTBrown wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:57 pm
The only slight disadvantage is an engine that might have to be revved bit more.
The biggest disadvantage it has is having side panels with Harley Davidson on.
Hello mate what you up to .
0 x
Armstrong 600
500 outfit

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Welcome to the forum AK..

I rode them a few Km in the Army too!

I now rebuild the engines for a living and repair the odd MT now and again - just like being back in the Bike Bay 34 years ago!

Good luck with your search

Gary
Sportax Racing
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

P.I.STAKER

Post by P.I.STAKER » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

good luck with your search

https://sites.google.com/site/gvsparts/
0 x
ARMSTRONG MT500 1984
BMW R1100S

AK-47

Post by AK-47 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Hello Gents,

Thanks for the warm welcomes and replies. Never having been on a site, I didn't reply due to finger trouble (and work taking me away). Apologies for that, but now back on and hoping to contribute something along the way.
0 x

AK-47

Post by AK-47 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Ah, pressed button B and didn't get my money back...

I am now the owner of an MT500 that is in need of TLC (as I suspect most are when they have been in not-so-careful hands). The oil and biblical filter (plus primary), being the first port of call.

I have posted a question re the use of these by the Post Office as it seems to have Pillar box Red under the poor black paint and crud.

As I come across problems and issues I'll post them, and once I've gained some knowledge, might be able to pass on anything.

Thanks again gents.
2 x